Every day, our journalism dismantles barriers and shines a light on the critical overlooked and under-reported issues important to all North Carolinians.
Before you go …
If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contribute to keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!
RALEIGH – Gov. Pat McCrory announced the following direct appointments on Tuesday:
North Carolina Public Schools Forum, members:
- Patti Head (Wake County) – Head served as a member of the Wake County School Board for eight years, two of which she served as chair. She also served as the president of Broughton High School’s PTSA and as a chair of the school’s advisory council.
- Mitchell Kyle Carver Sr. (Buncombe County) – Carver is a retired educator, having spent more than 34 years teaching in Buncombe County. Carver serves on the board of trustees at Mars Hill College and is a past chair of the board. He also served four terms on the N.C. State Council for Exceptional Children.
- Charles Brown (Scotland County) – Brown is a retired educator, having spent more than 30 years teaching in Scotland County. Brown is the current chair of the Scotland County School Board, as well as a member of the board of directors for the N.C. School Boards Association. He has spent the past three years as a board member for the Scotland County chapter of Child Care Directions.
- Dr. Bill Anderson (Mecklenburg County) – Anderson serves as executive director of Meck Ed. Anderson also serves on the Sugar Creek Charter School board of advisers, as well as the Charlotte Chamber. He is also president of SECU, South Park Branch board of advisers.
North Carolina School of Science and Math, Board of Trustees:
- Stephen Griffin (Durham County) – Griffin is the president of Insurance People of North Carolina Inc. Griffin has more than 27 years of property and casualty insurance experience. He serves as a member of the Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina. Griffin is also a member of the Home Builders Association of Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Thomas Looney (Wake County) – Looney is the vice president and general manager of Lenovo. He serves as chair of the Regional Transportation Alliance. Looney also serves on the board of trustees for Wake Tech Community College.
North Carolina Interagency Coordinating Council for Homeless Programs:
- Ernie Mills (Durham County) – Mills is the CEO and founder of the Durham Rescue Mission. The mission opened in 1973 and now has four campuses, providing food, shelter, clothing and counseling to more than 200 people.
-Press release from the office of Gov. Pat McCrory, shared April 30.