Every day, our journalism dismantles barriers and shines a light on the critical overlooked and under-reported issues important to all North Carolinians.
Before you go …
If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contribute to keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!
Carolina Public Press seeks a highly motivated, professional and experienced Development Assistant to join its nonprofit organization’s award-winning team. The Development Assistant will work with Carolina Public Press’s leadership team to develop, plan and implement fundraising strategies that support the mission, strategies and programs of the organization, which is a nonprofit online news service providing Western North Carolina with unbiased, in-depth and investigative reporting as well as educational opportunities.
This is a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial, ambitious and creative candidate interested in helping meet the information needs of a diverse region of North Carolina while also leading and assisting with the development of a fundraising model to support a growing nonprofit news organization.
Job requirements include leading and assisting with donor-development programs, including event coordination; leading and assisting with corporate, small business and organizational sponsorship programs; and leading the organization’s gift-acknowledgement program. Click here to read the full job description [PDF].
Candidates should exhibit:
- One to three years of experience as a development assistant or an equivalent position;
- Proficiency in database management and record-keeping software, including Excel and Word;
- The ability to work and collaborate with a diverse team, including volunteers, staff, contributors, freelancers, trainers and donors;
- The ability to travel throughout Western North Carolina and, when needed, throughout the state;
- Familiarity and proficiency working in a highly motivated, professional environment including the ability to work without constant supervision;
- Excellent organizational skills; and
- Experience working with a news organization and/or online publication, which is an asset, but not required.
This position is an hourly, part-time position, with the potential for further development and/or advancement. Candidates are not required to live in Asheville, but must live within the 18 westernmost counties of the state and have the ability to attend regular meetings virtually and/or in Asheville.
To apply, please send the following to Executive Director Angie Newsome at email@example.com with the subject line “Development Assistant Candidate Application”:
- cover letter, including pay requirements and knowledge of and/or interest in Carolina Public Press;
- resume; and
- three references.
The position will remain open until an assistant has been hired. Contact Executive Director Angie Newsome at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-279-0949 with questions.