Journalism with impact
I want to receive independent, investigative local news every day.
McCrory authorizes $376 million in improvements at 6 UNC System campuses
Press release from the office of Gov. Pat McCrory:
RALEIGH — Gov. Pat McCrory signed a bill Monday that authorizes approximately $376 million of improvements that will directly benefit students at six University of North Carolina institutions. Funds to pay for these projects will come from various fees, receipts, grants and fund raising income and not from tuition or taxpayer monies appropriated by the N.C. General Assembly.
The capital projects in the bill the governor signed Monday are at East Carolina University, UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, UNC Asheville, Western Carolina University and UNC Charlotte.
“These building projects will improve learning and living conditions for our students,” McCrory said. “Additionally, they will help create new jobs for North Carolina construction and architectural firms.”
Truth delivered daily
FROM CAROLINA PUBLIC PRESS: Vote Check: How the NC House, Senate voted on UNC System improvements
At East Carolina, $156 million will be spent improving the Student Union building, the Health Sciences Campus Student Services Building and constructing a new parking structure.
At UNC Charlotte, $129 million will be spent building a new residence hall, renovating four residence halls and building various infrastructure ranging from roads to wireless connectivity.
Reynolds Coliseum at N.C. State will get a $35 million facelift.
Approximately $32 million in upgrades will be made at the Manning Drive Chilled Water Plant at UNC-Chapel Hill.
The Brown Building at Western Carolina will be renovated and enlarged at a cost of 22.5 million.
Approximately $1 million will be invested in improvements at the Student Recreation Center and the Karl Straus Track Building and UNC Asheville.
House Bill 1182 was sponsored by Reps. Bill Brawley, Nathan Ramsey, Brian Brown and Rodney Moore.
McCrory also signed on Monday:
Become a Carolina Public Press insider.
Text INSIDER to (919)897-8555 and be among the first to hear about special events and exclusive content.
- House Bill 330 (Reps. Bryan and Stam) – A bill amending the North Carolina planned community act regarding the transfer of special declarant rights.
- House Bill 1025 (Rep. Torbett) – A bill making various DMV modifications.
- House Bill 1052 (Rep. Hager) – A bill adjusting the utility regulatory fee.
- House Bill 1117 (Rep. Blust) – A bill conforming the law governing the pledge of joint accounts in credit unions, savings and loan associations and savings banks to the law governing the pledge of joint accounts in banks.
- House Bill 267 (Reps. Collins, Torbett, Floyd and Wray) – A bill amending laws governing captive insurance companies and risk retention groups.
- House Bill 379 (Rep. Langdon) – A bill authorizing the North Carolina veterinary medical board to amend the board’s laws pertaining to licensure fees and license reinstatement.
- House Bill 1139 (Rep. Samuelson) – A bill dedicating and accepting certain properties as part of the state nature and historic preserve, and removing certain lands from the state nature and historic preserve.
- House Bill 1034 (Reps. Howard, Moffitt and Lucas) – A bill amending the laws related to volunteer fire and rescue finances.