Every day, our journalism dismantles barriers and shines a light on the critical overlooked and under-reported issues important to all North Carolinians.

WNC Transportation is a new and permanent feature from Carolina Public Press offering road, public transportation, sidewalk, bike and greenway information for each of the 18 westernmost counties of North Carolina. It also includes information on road and highway planning organizations — the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) and Rural Planning Organizations (RPOs) — for your county.

This resource list for Avery County will be updated periodically. Have a question, suggestion or update to this resource list? Please contact us at info@carolinapublicpress.org.

Public Transit

The Avery County Transportation Authority provides transportation within the county and to surrounding areas outside of the county. The Transportation Authority requires that passengers call before 8 a.m. if they want a van ride that day. For out-of-county transports, passengers must call a week in advance. If passengers call Avery County Transportation before medical appointments, the ACT will set up appointments for them.

ACT regular routes – 50 cents
Other trips in Avery County — $2
Boone, Spruce Pine, Roan Mountain, Elizabethton — $5
Johnson City, Marion, Valdese, Asheville, Morganton — $7
Bristol, Hickory, Lenoir, West Jefferson — $10
Charlotte, Winston-Salem — $15
Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham — $20

Avery County Transportation Authority
34 Pershing Street/ P.O. Box 443
Newland, N.C. 28657
Phone: 828-733-0005
Email: avery.act.dispatch@averycountync.gov

Road Repairs

A guide to who to contact about needed road repairs:

If the road is owned and maintained by the state of North Carolina, contact Avery County’s maintenance department at 828-733-2776.

If the road is owned by the town of Newland, contact Newland’s maintenance office at 828-733-2024.

If the road is owned by the town of Banner Elk, contact Banner Elk’s public works department at 828-898-5398.

If the road is owned by the town of Beech Mountain, contact Beech Mountain’s public works department at 828-387-9282.

If the road is owned by the town of Seven Devils, contact the Seven Devils’ public works department at 828-963-5343.

If the road is owned by the village of Sugar Mountain, contact Sugar Mountain’s public works department at 828-898-5822.

If the road is owned by the town of Crossnore, contact Crossnore’s town hall at 828-733-0360.

Road and Highway Planning

High Country Council of Governments is an agency that provides transportation planning and mapping/GIS support to Avery County and its municipalities. It serves as a forum for local officials and citizens to interact with the N.C. Department of Transportation.

David Graham, transportation planner
Phone: 828-265-5434, ext.135
Email: dgraham@regiond.org

The NCDOT Division 11 is also involved with the planning and development of transportation projects in Macon County.

Dean Ledbetter, senior planning engineer
Phone: 336-903-9129
Email: dledbetter@ncdot.gov.


Avery County Parks and Recreation
PO Box 883
Newland, NC 28657
Robert Willis, Director

Phone number: 828-737-5531

Chase Erickson

Chase Erickson was the summer 2014 intern at Carolina Public Press.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *