Before you go …

If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contribute to keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!

WNC Transportation is a new and permanent feature from Carolina Public Press offering road, public transportation, sidewalk, bike and greenway information for each of the 18 westernmost counties of North Carolina. It also includes information on road and highway planning organizations — the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) and Rural Planning Organizations (RPOs) — for your county.

This resource list for Buncombe County will be updated periodically. Have a question, suggestion or update to this resource list? Please contact us at

Public Transit

Buncombe County

Mountain Mobility
Phone: 828-250-6750

They provide transportation for Buncombe County residents. For demand-response services such as medical appointments, Mountain Mobility must be notified by 3 p.m. the day before the trip. Residents can also subscribe for the same route twice a week.


Asheville Redesigns Transit (ART)

Asheville Transit Center
49 Coxe Ave.
Asheville N.C. 28801
M – F 6 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Sat 7 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Holidays 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Phone: 828-253-5691

They provide bus routes to all over Asheville and to areas outside of Asheville, including North Buncombe, Black Mountain, Enka and Candler. Find routes here.

1 ticket = $1
11 ticket booklet = $9
Month pass = $20
Year pass =$220

Road Repairs

If the road is managed or owned by the state of North Carolina, call the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) at 828-298-2741.

If the road is owned by the city of Asheville, call 828-251-1122.

If the road is owned by the town of Biltmore Forest, call 828-274-0824.

If the road is owned by the town of Black Mountain, call 828-274-0824.

If the road is owned by the town of Montreat, call 828-669-8002.

If the road is owned by the town of Woodfin, call 828-253-4887.

If the road is owned by the town of Weaverville, call 828-645-0606.

Street services, including sidewalks


Greg Shuler, Street and Engineering Manager
Physical address: Public Works Building, 161 S. Charlotte St.
Mailing address: P. O. Box 7148, Asheville, NC 28802
Phone: 828-259-5852

Road and Highway Planning

French Broad River Metropolitan Planning Organization 

The French Broad River MPO is involved with the road planning in Buncombe County and in Asheville, Biltmore Forest, Black Mountain, Montreat, Weaverville and Woodfin. To get involved, go to or call 828-251-6622.

Paul Black, Director
Phone: 828-251-6622 Ext. 126

Land-of-Sky Regional Planning Organization is also involved with the planning and development of roads in Buncombe County.

Vicki Eastland
Phone: 828-251-6622 ext. 132

The NCDOT Division 13 is also involved with the planning and development of transportation projects in Buncombe County.

Kristina Solberg, project engineer at NCDOT Division 13
Phone: 828-251-6171


Buncombe County

Buncombe County Parks & Recreation
Administrative Office
67 Haywood Street
Asheville, NC 28801

Fran Thigpen, director
Phone: 828-250-4260

Master plan for Buncombe County may be found here:


Asheville Parks & Recreation
Transportation Department
70 Court Plaza, Asheville, NC 28801

Mariate Echeverry, transportation planning manager
Phone: 828-232-4528

Master plan:

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. You may republish our stories for free, online or in print. Simply copy and paste the article contents from the box below. Note, some images and interactive features may not be included here.

Chase Erickson

Chase Erickson was the summer 2014 intern at Carolina Public Press.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *