Before you go …

If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contribute to keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!

WNC Transportation is a new and permanent feature from Carolina Public Press offering road, public transportation, sidewalk, bike and greenway information for each of the 18 westernmost counties of North Carolina. It also includes information on road and highway planning organizations — the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) and Rural Planning Organizations (RPOs) — for your county.

This resource list for Swain County will be updated periodically. Have a question, suggestion or update to this resource list? Please contact us at

Public Transit

Swain Public Transit
125 Brendle St.
Bryson City, N.C.  28713

Hours of operation: 6 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: 828-488-3213
Fare information [PDF]

Road Repairs

If the road is maintained and owned by the state of North Carolina, call the N.C. Department of Transportation at 828-586-6019.

If the road is owned by the town of Bryson City, call Bryson City’s town hall at 828-488-3335.

Road and Highway Planning

The Southwestern Rural Planning Organization is an agency that provides transportation planning and mapping/GIS support to Swain County and its municipalities. It serves as a forum for local officials and citizens to interact with the N.C. Department of Transportation.

Philip Moore, senior planner and coordinator
Phone: 828-586-1962 ext. 213

The NCDOT Division 14 is also involved with planning of roads and highways in Swain County. If you want to get involved, call 828-497-7333.

Jonathan L. Woodard, district engineer


For information on the Bryson City Greenway plan, go to

Chase Erickson

Chase Erickson was the summer 2014 intern at Carolina Public Press.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *