From the North Carolina Bar Association:
Saturday, April 30, has been declared Financial Health Clinic Day by the Bankruptcy Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. On this day, a free statewide clinic promoting personal financial knowledge to the citizens of North Carolina will be conducted in eight cities across the state.
The event, which coincides with Financial Literacy and Education Month, will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude at 4 p.m. Partners in this endeavor include Legal Aid of North Carolina and Consumer Credit Counseling Services offices throughout the state.
Bankruptcy, estate planning, tax and legal aid lawyers who are well versed in financial issues will offer free legal information and as well as information about consumer rights and debt relief options. CPAs and other financial professionals will also offer free information and educational materials. The Foreclosure Prevention office will assist those in foreclosure and CCCS will offer information on budgeting, credit empowerment and debt counseling.
Other participating organizations include the N.C. Association of CPAs, the N.C. Housing Finance Agency’s office of Foreclosure Prevention, the FDIC, the N.C. Institute for Minority Economic Development, State Employees Credit Union, the Center for Responsible Lending, The North Carolina Treasurer’s Office, State Farm Insurance, N.C. Secretary of State’s Investor Education Office, the Center for Responsible Lending, Wells Fargo/Wachovia and many others (location participants may vary).
Cities and site locations are:
- Asheville: United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County, 50 S. French Broad Ave.
- Charlotte: Johnson C. Smith University, Business Administration & Economics “Family Dollar” Room, 100 Beatties Ford Road.
- Durham: Center for Responsible Lending, 302 West Main St.
- Greensboro: Center City Park, 200 North Elm St. Rain location is Greensboro Cultural Center, 200 N. Davie St.
- New Bern: Garber United Methodist Church, 4201 Country Club Road, Trent Woods.
- Raleigh: Alexander YMCA, 1603 Hillsborough St.
- Wilmington: Self Help Credit Union, 272 N. Front St.
- Winston-Salem: Forsyth Medical Center Conference Center, 3333 Silas Creek Parkway.
To volunteer, please contact the area chair where you would like to volunteer by e-mail. Please provide your name, organization, e-mail address and telephone number. The area chairs are as follows:
- Asheville: Sara Davis, (828) 254-6315; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Charlotte: Matt McKee, (704) 442-9500, Ext. 239; email@example.com.
- Durham: Ed Boltz, (919) 286-1695; EdBoltz@gmail.com.
- Greensboro: Robyn Whitman, (336) 358-4178; Robyn_Whitman@ncmba.uscourts.gov.
- New Bern: George Oliver, (252) 259-4885; firstname.lastname@example.org; Allen Murphy, email@example.com.
- Raleigh: Victoria Wright, (919) 210-6653; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wilmington: Meredith Ezzell, (910) 799-6888; email@example.com.
- Winston Salem: Ashley Rusher, (336) 293-9010; firstname.lastname@example.org.
‘All participants are encouraged to provide financial education materials,” (Victoria) Wright added. ‘We recognize that many people who attend the event will be in financial trouble and each venue will offer attorneys and credit counselors to answer legal and general questions dealing with consumer credit, debt and financial concerns.’
Many locations will also provide seminars on budget and debt empowerment by CCCS Agency staff. Referrals may be offered for future appointments and follow up.