Every day, our journalism dismantles barriers and shines a light on the critical overlooked and under-reported issues important to all North Carolinians.
Before you go …
If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contribute to keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!
From BuncombeCounty.org, shared Feb. 28:
Do you have questions about your taxes? Would you like assistance in completing your income tax forms?
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, in cooperation with the IRS, N.C. Dept. of Revenue, the Council on Aging and Buncombe County Public Libraries is offering free tax preparation for taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those age 60 and older.
For 2012, this service will be available through Tuesday, April 17. Both Federal and N.C. State returns will be electronically filed for safe and accurate preparation and faster refunds.
Tax Assistance Sites
67 Haywood Street, Asheville
*Free parking for the 1st hour @ the Civic Center Parking Garage behind Pack Library.
|West Asheville Library
942 Haywood Road, Asheville
41 N. Main Street, Weaverville
|Black Mountain Library
105 N. Dougherty Street, Black Mountain
Taxpayers should bring the following documents:
- Social Security cards and Identifications for taxpayers and all dependents
- Previous year’s (2010) tax return
- W-2 forms from each employer
- 1099 forms for income from Social Security, Pension, Interest, Dividends, Brokers/Mutual Funds, Miscellaneous Income, etc.
- Any other tax forms or information for both income and expenses
- Detailed list and receipts for Medical Expenses, Charitable Contributions, Real Estate Taxes, Mortgage Interest, if claiming itemized deductions.
- A blank check for direct deposit of any refund to your checking or savings account.
Questions and requests for homebound individuals can be directed to the Buncombe County Council on Aging at (828) 277-8288.