Every day, our journalism dismantles barriers and shines a light on the critical overlooked and under-reported issues important to all North Carolinians.
Before you go …
If you like what you are reading and believe in independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan journalism like ours—journalism the way it should be—please contribute to keep us going. Reporting like this isn’t free to produce and we cannot do this alone. Thank you!
UPDATE, March 14: Officials have granted a $7,500 bond to Uriel Alberto, a man facing deportation after protesting at a state legislative committee looking at North Carolina immigration policies and enforcement. The move means that Alberto, who ended his hunger strike earlier in the week, could be released.
UPDATE, March 12: Advocates for Uriel Alberto sent out a press release today stating: “Uriel Alberto has ended his hunger strike after being placed in solitary confinement and given limited access to those fighting for his release. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement has placed a hold on him since February 29 because of misdemeanors on his record.” The press release came from NC DREAM Team, one of several immigrant-rights groups in North Carolina who are campaigning for Alberto’s release.
Read the original report, published March 9, here:
Former WNC college student on hunger strike following arrest at state immigration meeting
A man arrested last week during a protest at the House Select Committee on the State’s Role in Immigration Policy has been on a hunger strike for at least 155 hours, an advocacy group said yesterday.
Uriel Alberto, 24, Estephania Mijangos and Cynthia Martinez were arrested Feb. 29 in Raleigh for protesting during the House committee, which is looking at the state’s immigration policies and enforcement. Alberto is a former student at Lees-McRae College, in the Avery County town of Banner Elk. He spent three semesters there between 2006 and 2008, college officials confirmed Thursday.
The three have said they are undocumented; Mijangos and Martinez have been since been released since the protest at the committee. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has begun deportation proceedings for Alberto, according to the NC DREAM Team, an immigrant-rights advocacy group.
It issued a press release Tuesday saying Alberto has a 2-year-old son, had been on a hunger strike, “and intends to continue it until he is free.” Its website shows photos of other young people holding signs declaring they are on hunger strikes in support of Alberto.
El Cambio, an immigrant-rights group based in Yadkin County, lists Alberto as a team leader for the organization, and according to a story in the Winston-Salem Journal, Alberto is most recently from Winston-Salem. El Cambio and NC DREAM Team support the proposed federal DREAM Act, which would, if passed, allow young people who meet certain requirements to go to college or enlist in the military as a way to become citizens.
A video of the protest, arrests and the entire committee meeting can be viewed here. It appears to have been recorded by a protestor. The video was distributed by NC DREAM Team.
Rep. Ray Rapp, a Democrat from Mars Hill representing Haywood, Madison and Yancey counties, is the only Western North Carolina representative on the committee.